Useful mantras

The place where members can exchange as they like between themselves. A kind of sidewalk cafe for spiritualists.
Drpta

Useful mantras

Post by Drpta »

Recently I have found interesting mantra in Taittiriya upanisad 1.10. I think it is very useful mantra for those who want to realize their essence for it meant namely for that.

Aham vrikshasya rerivaa, kirtih prishtham gireriva,urdhva pavitro vaajineeva svamritamasmi/
Dravinam sarvachasam, sumedhaa amritokshitah, iti trishankor vedaanuvaachanam

"I am the mover of the tree of the universe. My fame rises high, like a mountain peak. My root is the Supremely Pure Brahman. I am the unstained essence of the Self, like the nectar of immortality that resides in the sun. I am the brightest treasure. I am the shining wisdom. I am immortal and undecaying. Thus did Trisanku proclaim after the attainment of the Knowledge of the Self".

This mantra is in praise of the Self and it is meant for daily recitation by the seekers of self-knowledge. Such repetition and contemplation prepare the mind for Self-realization.
The universe is compared to a tree on account of its perishable nature. As a tree is cut down with an axe, so is the phenomenal universe destroyed with the sword of detachment. (Bhagavad Gita 15.1). The word ‘mover’ refers to the Indweller, Antaryamin who guides the living beings.
The fame of the liberated man spreads to the regions of gods, who cannot thwart his wishes. Brahman is the supreme purifier; by shining forth through consciousness, it frees men from the cycle of birth and death. When thus purified, a man becomes Brahman, the Pure one, the Primal Source.
Nectar of immortality residing in the sun means, the immortal essence or energy is stored up in the sun. The knowledge of Brahman is the radiant treasure. Such a person is steeped in the elixir of Immortal Bliss.
A Vedic Rishi named Trisanku realized Brahman. Having attained oneness with Brahman, he made the above statement which reveals what constitutes Self-realization.
This is a comment by T.N.Sethumadhavan