Revealing History: Prabhupada - His Life, Words and Letters

Days gone by are remembered as good or bad according to our desire. Although we are not encouraging anyone to post texts in this forum, if anyone feels a need to discuss things related to their former times in a spiritual movement or to ventilate their feelings, this is the place to do it. Please maintain proper decorum and do not flame others or other organizations. Any comments or statements herein are the opinions of the poster's alone and have no connection to harimedia.net or its administrators.
harsi

Re: Revealing History: Prabhupada - His Life, Words and Letters

Post by harsi »

- The Kartik Diaries: Gauranga.org/blogger.html
Last edited by harsi on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
harsi

Post by harsi »

Last edited by harsi on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
harsi

Post by harsi »

Image - Iskcon News: Bangalore Splinter Group Wins Court Case - Madhu Pandit Info

Bangalore, India (20 Apr 2009) -– In the latest development in the longstanding feud between the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) and a breakaway group of devotees who took over the prominent ISKCON temple here, a City Civil Court issued a ruling in favor of the splinter group on Friday, April 17. The decision seems to be a blow to ISKCON and its leadership in India, although sources close to ISKCON leadership in India indicate that the organization plans to appeal the decision. Members of the Bangalore-based breakaway group left ISKCON in 1998, when they adopted the philosophy that ISKCON Founder-Acharya A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, who passed away in 1977, would continue to be the sole initiating guru even after his physical departure. This doctrine, informally known as ritvikism because adherents claim that the individual conducting the initiation be regarded only as a ritual priest, or ritvik, is regarded as a heresy in traditional Vaishnava praxis. It is also strictly at odds with ISKCON’s position that Prabhupada instructed his disciples to themselves become gurus after his disappearance and thus continue the disciplic succession in the conventional manner.

In 1990, ISKCON’s Governing Body Commission (GBC) ruled that ritvikism was “a dangerous philosophical deviation” and prohibited its teaching and practices in ISKCON. In 1999, following Bangalore temple president Madhu Pandit Dasa’s high profile defection and his presentation of ritvikism to the GBC, that body examined his argument and found it “to be erroneous in its conclusion as well as specious and sophistical in its conduct.” As a result, the GBC strongly reaffirmed its repudiation of ritvikism as a dangerous deviation, and specified that “no one who espouses, teaches supports in any way, or practices ritvikism can be a member in good standing of ISKCON.”

The GBC rulings also singled out Madhu Pandit, along with a handful of other Indian leaders who had defected to the ritvik camp, noting that in “openly deviating from fundamental tenets of the Society's teaching” they were “deemed as unfit to be members of ISKCON India.” In response to the sharp repudiation, Madhu Pandit acted quickly, filing multiple legal suits against ISKCON in a bold and explicit takeover attempt of the prestigious ISKCON Bangalore temple and related assets. Ownership of the temple has been in dispute since then, with Friday’s ruling being the culmination of nine years of the lawsuits slowly winding their way through India’s backlogged court system. Interestingly, as ISKCON Newsweekly reported, in March Madhu Pandit had sent a letter to ISKCON’s leadership proposing that the two camps settle their disagreements – ostensibly including the multiple lawsuits he filed against ISKCON in India – by adopting a compromise situation within which their divergent views can be accommodated. It is unclear, however, how Friday’s ruling will bear on the state of that truce proposal. (more)

Prabhupadanugas.eu: ISKCON Bangalore wins the Court Case!
- 'War' between ISKCON Mumbai and ISKCON Bangalore - Bangalore: Interview with Shanka Britha dasa - Interview with Madhu Pandit Dasa - http://www.struggle-for-truth.org

Image - Info by Rocana Dasa - - TKG's Confession - Web links...

Image - Jagannath Temple of Puri

- Videos on the web - Photos: 1 / 2

Image Entrance to the Gundica mandir
Last edited by harsi on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Nanda-grama

Post by Nanda-grama »

I red this conversation of Prabhupada with his disciples (here,on the previous page) where he told Harikesha : you can't apply to Krishna directly, only through your spiritual master. In this conversation he constantly says about hierarchy. Is there something spiritual in that? Look, now Hari confirms absolutely contrary things! That everybody is not fool and not bad, that everybody can have the direct connection with Radha-Krishna. But really didn't Lord Chaitaniya embrace everybody to tell him by it: you are good, here love of God to you!-?
All it is very interestingly...
harsi

Post by harsi »

Its indeed interesting to follow this conversation of Prabhupada and some of his disciples. For me what he is saying also makes some sense. I will explain what I mean. When I started school in September 1968 I well could say that I somehow knew nothing. So I had to follow and accept that what my school teacher was telling me. In order to do that I had to have the full confidence that he is the authorative representative of the states scholl system and that this knowledge he were presenting to me was indeed the state of knowledge known until then.

If I would have put that into question I doubt that I would have learned anything or that I would have been accepted to continue my schooleducation at that particular school and time. I have the impression that in a somehow similar way Prabhupada tried to establish his authority and particular "school edication" for his disciples also. Now the nature of a school education system and that of a pupil or "disciple" is, that at one point in time it comes to an end. Namely than when the pupil or disciple would be old and learned enough in order to continue his life standing on his own "two feet".

The proplem in ISKCON started when some "scholl-teachers" started to propagate that somehow you have to be an "eternal schoolboy" before the "school-teacher or "school-master." The rest you may know and where this strange concept takes one. I appreciate Hari for having ended this wrong way of spiritual school education and that he released us in order for us to try to become with what we may have learned or continue to learn from him our own masters in life.

Harikesha: So the nature of the communication with the spiritual master in our state is only through...
Prabhupada: Spiritual master... Krishna is also spiritual master.
Harikesha: Oh."

Harikesa continues: "In other words, if I am in your absence and I am in great doubt, and I am praying to Supersoul to please save me somehow, if I receive some action which I must do or some course of action becomes obvious, should I trust that, considering that you're communicating with me, or...?
Prabhupada: That depends on purity. If one has become pure, without any material desire, then that is possible. But if there is some material desire, we cannot expect direct communication.
Harikesa: So I have much material desire.
Prabhupada: I do not say you or he. This is the process. This is the process."

Harikesa: But in the meantime...
Prabhupada: In the meantime it is not possible...
Harikesa: Not possible.
Prabhupada: ...directly.

Harikesa: So the nature of the communication with the spiritual master in our state is only through...
Prabhupada: Spiritual master... Krishna is also spiritual master.
Harikesa: Oh.

Prabhupada: But Krishna sends spiritual master, His representative, as you can appreciate, externally, directly. Otherwise, Krishna is already spiritual master. He could give you instruction from the very beginning. But why He is sending His representative? What is the use?
Harikesa: We're not able to...
Prabhupada: Ah, because unless we are completely purified, Krishna will, does not talk directly. Therefore you have to understand Krishna through the spiritual master.

Prabhupada: Krishna wanted instruction of guru, not directly.
Harikesa: Krishna's...
Prabhupada: That, that I was explaining in the morning.
Harikesa: Yes.
Prabhupada: Yes. Chaitya-guru. One has to take the order of Krishna through the media, via media of spiritual master.

Prabhupada: Not that I was trying to directly contact Krishna. That was not my business. This is required. If anyone wants to contact directly Krishna, that is not possible.

Regarding the templepresident: Prabhupada says: "So long he is president you must follow him. If he is wrong, that will be corrected by the spiritual master."
Prabhupada: You cannot correct him. Otherwise obedience is the first discipline. If you do not obey the representative, authority, then there cannot be any discipline. Then everything will be topsy-turvy.
Prabhupada: So the steps will be taken by the spiritual master. You cannot, do not try to rectify.

Prabhupada: Yes. Perfect means as you have heard from your spiritual master. [indistinct] We are not perfect, none of us, but if you perfectly follow the orders of the perfect, then you are perfect.

Prabhupada: You should not think that "I have become perfect." Chaitanya Mahaprabhu also said, guru more murkha dekhi [Cc. Adi 7.71]. He presented Himself as fool number one. So we should always keep ourself as fool number one, that "I am not perfect. I am fool number one." But whatever I am doing I am carrying the orders of the perfect. That is my credit. I am not perfect. Suppose I give you ... five thousand dollars. That is not my money. I am not rich man. But the money is paid by somebody else and I deliver, that's all. That is my perfection. If I don't touch it, I do not take from five hundred dollars a paise even, and I deliver it, that is my perfection. I may not be rich man, but if I deliver this amount to you, in perfect order, that is my perfection.

Harikesa: Sometimes, due to my conditioning, I cannot exactly understand what you are saying.
Prabhupada: Yes. If you cannot understand what I am saying, then you should ask repeat.
Harikesa: What if I don't know, I haven't understood? What if I think I have understood but I have actually not?
Prabhupada: There are many things like that. So you should try to understand it fully. Why should you understand it haphazardly? You must try to understand fully.
Harikesa: ...position to criticize his Godbrothers, no matter what?
Prabhupada: You can criticize, if you are right. You cannot criticize wrongly.
Open up your mind and heart to new experiences of consciousness.
Nanda-grama

Post by Nanda-grama »

Yes, I agree with you. I think Prabhupada was a good psychologist and a magnificent organizer, he knew how to push the necessary buttons in consciousness of people. I can understand this conversation like a special case when a teacher checks an young disciple who has too living and independent mind. But when it becomes absolute truth, a dogma, only a way of spiritual life! And it is funny to read it now when we know Hari such what he is today.
(but why did you correct this quotation?)
harsi

Post by harsi »

Image Daily Excelsior: Srila Prabhupada by Vipin Vihari Dasa

It seems that Prabhupada was his whole professional life working in a higher position of an organizer and manager. In one letter in October 21, 1947, to the proprietor of the Aska Distillery, he ends his letter by writing "Yours faithfully, For Vimaltone Laboratories Ltd., Abhay Charan De, Director in chief." When one works ones whole professional life in such positions of management its quite natural and also necessary to learn and know how to manage people in such a way so that they may do that one may be expecting out of them or that what one may want them to become one day. But at the same time I would say that Prabhupada was somehow also fully convinced that what he is teaching or expecting from his disciples is for their own spiritual good and for the pleasure of God and is not meant to satisfy his own personal desires and whims.

The reason I was quoting again some parts from the here posted conversation with Prabhupada was that one may could become better aware of what he was saying actually. You wrote before: "I red this conversation of Prabhupada with his disciples where he told Harikesha: you can't apply to Krishna directly, only through your spiritual master."

It seems that you missed somehow that he also said, I quote: "Prabhupada: Spiritual master... Krishna is also spiritual master." Than Harikesa continues: "In other words, if I am in your absence and I am in great doubt, and I am praying to Supersoul to please save me somehow, if I receive some action which I must do or some course of action becomes obvious, should I trust that, considering that you're communicating with me, or...?
Prabhupada: That depends on purity. If one has become pure, without any material desire, then that is possible. But if there is some material desire, we cannot expect direct communication."

It seems to me that contrary to that what some people may say is, that Prabhupada was not really oposed to listen and follow to the Supersoul, the caitya guru within, rather he is of the opinion that one has to become somehow able, he calls it become purified from ones "material desire"s, in order to distinguish that what one may think is coming directly from the Supersoul, the caitya guru and that what our own mind and whims or personal desires may expect or dictate to us. Of course Prabhupada seems to have been also a traditionalist who was in favour of that what one may can learn from the past instead of trying to experiment in the way a progresists like Hari and others like him may also be in favour of. That shows also the following conversation with Prabhupada I found today on the internet. An interesting article in this regard one can read also on the Science Forum homepage where one can read:"He who is possessed of supreme knowledge by concentration of mind, must have his senses under control, like spirited steeds controlled by a charioteer." says the Katha Upanishad (iii, 6). From the Vedic age downwards the central conception of education of the Indians has been that it is a source of illumination giving us a correct lead in the various spheres of life. Knowledge, says one thinker, is the third eye of man, which gives him insight into all affairs and teaches him how to act. Continued...

Image - Prabhupada on Socrates

So goodness is the position where you can get knowledge. And passion and ignorance is not the platform of knowledge. Therefore the endeavor should be how to bring persons in the basic or base platform… So this is very easily done by our, this Krsna consciousness movement. If one hears about Krsna, or God, then gradually he becomes freed from the clutches of darkness and passion, and actually he then comes to the platform of goodness.

Hayagriva: One last point on Socrates. For Socrates…
Prabhupada: Now this so-called civilization is darkness. That is my point.
Hayagriva: Yes.
Prabhupada: It is not in the light. They are fighting within darkness. Just like if immediately this room become dark, everyone (indistinct). There is fighting. Stop it. You are asking me, “Prabhupada, where you are?” I say “Here,” and you are going in the other room.

Hayagriva: Well he pictures in the cave the, something like a cinema, on the wall of the cave…
Prabhupada: Yes.
Hayagriva: …and everyone is sitting in the cave looking, absorbed in the cinema, these forms that are not actual forms but are imitation forms.
Prabhupada: But that means darkness.
Hayagriva: Uh huh.

Prabhupada: Darkness, you are saying, “Prabhupada, I am here,” and I am looking here: “Where you are?” So that is the position of darkness. Everything you see, it is not clear. That is darkness. Therefore Vedic version is, “Don’t remain in darkness. Come to the light.” That light is guru. Ajnana-timirandhasya jnananjana-salakaya. This is guru’s description. When we are in darkness of ignorance the guru, spiritual master, ignites the torch of knowledge. Ajnana-timirandhasya jnananjana-salaka. Salakaya means torch. Then he sees, “Oh, things are like this.” In this way, when he becomes self-realized, brahma-bhu, then he becomes happy, brahma-bhutah prasannatma na socati [Bg. 18.54]. That is civilization, to get the light. And to remain in the darkness and struggle for existence, that is not civilization; that is animal life. It has no value. That is going on. Therefore we are trying to give Krsna consciousness, the greatest contribution to the human society. Krsna consciousness we are not manufacturing, we are not bluffing like other swamis and yogis and philosophers. We are simply carrying the light, torchlight, which Krsna has given. That’s all. So our business is very easy—very easy and beneficial and practical.

Hayagriva: The good that Socrates speaks of is not the same as sattva-guna. This is a quotation from The Republic. Socrates says, “This, then, which gives to the objects of knowledge their truth and to him who knows them his power of knowing is the form or essential nature of goodness.”
Prabhupada: Yes.

Hayagriva: “It is the cause of knowledge and truth, and so while he may think of it as an object of knowledge, he would do well to regard it as something beyond truth and knowledge, and precious as these both are, of still higher worth. And just as in our analogy light and vision were to be thought of like the sun, but not identical with it, so here both knowledge and truth are to be regarded as like the good, but to identify either with the good is wrong. The good must hold a yet higher place of honor. The objects of knowledge derive from the good not only their power of being known, but their very being and reality, and goodness is not the same thing as being, but even beyond being, surpassing it in dignity and power.”

Prabhupada: Yes. So goodness is the position where you can get knowledge. And passion and ignorance is not the platform of knowledge. Therefore the endeavor should be how to bring persons in the basic or base platform, ignorance and passion. So this is very easily done by our, this Krsna consciousness movement. If one hears about Krsna, or God, then gradually he becomes freed from the clutches of darkness and passion, and actually he then comes to the platform of goodness. And when he is perfectly in goodness, then this passion and ignorance and their by-products cannot touch him.

Tada rajas-tamo-bhavah kama-lobhadayas ca ye, nasta-prayesv abhadresu, nityam bhagavata-sevaya, bhagavaty uttama-sloke, bhaktir bhavati naisthiki [SB 1.2.18]
Tada rajas-tamo-bhavah, kama-lobhadayas ca ye, ceta etair anaviddham… [SB 1.2.19]

If we hear Bhagavatam, Bhagavad-gita regularly, then we become free from the effects of the modes of ignorance and passion, gradually, although it takes… But it is sure. The more you hear about Krsna, or—Krsna means His instruction or about Him, what He is—the more you become purified. So that is the test, that how one has become purified means one is purified from the base quality of passion and ignorance, means that he is no more attacked by greediness and passion. That is the test. That means he is free from the base qualities, and he is situated, ceta etair anaviddham sthitam sattve prasidati. When he is no more disturbed by these base qualities of passion and greediness, then he is happy. Then he becomes happy. Ceta etair anavi…, sthitasya, that is goodness. That is goodness. Then he is happy, happiness, that the ultimate stage of goodness is brahma-bhutah, to realize himself, realize God. So goodness, one must come to the platform of goodness. So we are therefore asking people to give up these base qualitative activities—illicit sex and meat-eating and drinking or intoxication and gambling. These are base qualities. So anyone gives up these qualities, he remains in the sattva-guna. And then if he is promoted farther, just like Socrates said that goodness is not all, that still you have to…, and that is bhakti. Then his realization is perfect. He becomes liberated, and then gradually he develops love of God, then he is in the original state. Bhaktir hitva anyatha. As mukti, liberation, means that to be free from this all nonsense engagements. Nitya-baddha, they are engaged, all these karmis, jnanis, yogis, they are simply engaged in some false engagements to become happy. So when one is free from these false engagements, then he is in the liberated state. Mukti means muktir hitva anyatha rupam. Anyatha rupam means he is acting otherwise. So one has to come to the real position, not work, act otherwise. So he is eternal servant of Krsna. When he fully engage himself in the service of Krsna, then he is liberated, and if he keeps himself, then nobody can touch, the maya cannot touch. Daivi hy esa gunamayi mama maya [Bg. 7.14]. Maya is very strong, but if one keeps in touch with Krsna constantly, maya has no jurisdiction. Mayam etam taranti te. This is perfection of life.

Hayagriva: Transcendental to the modes.
Prabhupada: Yes. No more affected by the modes of material nature. Sa gunan samatityaitan brahma-bhuyaya kalpate [Bg. 14.26]. Such person is transcendental to the modes of material nature. Sa gunan samatityaitan brahma [Bg. 14.26]. That is brahma-bhutah stage. So every devotee, if he is strictly following the rules and regulation, he is in the brahma-bhutah stage. Just like there is epidemic, but one who has taken the vaccine, the epidemic cannot touch it. So that is like that. Brahma, when you come to the brahma-bhutah state, let…, there may be maya, there may be so many activities of ignorance and passion—he has nothing to do with. He is free. That is brahma-bhutah state. That is wanted. That is perfection.

Hayagriva: So that’s the conclusion of the additional notes on Socrates, Srila Prabhupada.
Prabhupada: Yes, it was very, very nice.
Hayagriva: And if new philosophers that we will present eventually, oh, um, I don’t know if these were ever…
Prabhupada: Actually the main philosophy is Socrates. He is (indistinct).

Hayagriva: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, these have been done. Just a little, a few additions. But then there’s Plotinus, Origen, and Augustine, and these were the three philosophers who shaped Christian thought or Catholic, the Church thought, Church fathers, and St. Anselm, St. Thomas Aquinas, Scotus and Eckhart, these are Christian…
Prabhupada: So they are not philosopher; they are Christian with different point of views. So we are not going to discuss with a person he is from the stand…, deviating from the standard way and thinking in their mental speculation.

Hayagriva: But these, these are considered philosophers…
Prabhupada: Considered, but because they belong to a certain sect of religion…
Hayagriva: Because they are followers of Christ?
Prabhupada: Yes. And they are deviating from the original Christian father, so they are useless.
Hayagriva: They do, they do deviate. They…

Prabhupada: No, you can not deviate. Then no more you are Christian. So you can…, you have no platform to talk from the Christianity. Therefore they should be rejected.
Hayagriva: Uh huh. So Plotinus was not Christian, neither was Origen…
Prabhupada: If you say Christian, you must follow the four…, ten commandments of Christ. If you don’t follow, you make your own ways to escape, then you are no longer Christian. So you cannot talk.
Hayagriva: But Augustine was one of the ones who maintained that animals do not have souls.
Prabhupada: Therefore he is a rascal.
Hayagriva: Yes.
Prabhupada: He is a rascal.
Hayagriva: And this was accepted…
Prabhupada: Now, what do you, what do you use, what the use to talking with a rascal? It is waste of time.
___

Related reading:

Prabhupada on Socrates Part One - Part Two
Yes. That is our opinion. Beauty, knowledge, strength and opulence—everything—they are transcendental. Here, in this material world, it is perverted reflection. Just like … (more...)
Democratic Government
The so called democratic government means some of the sudras, rascals without any knowledge of the highest aim of life. By hook and crook they get some votes and get the respo… (more...
Love, Ego, Truth, Knowledge
Our desire to love someone here in this earthly planet is a reflection of our original desire to love Krishna. Krishna is so kind; He has no reason to be hungry, He has everything… (more...) - More Reading...

Image Prabhupada in London Airport
Last edited by harsi on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanda-grama

Post by Nanda-grama »

How picturesquely Prabhupada looks on this photo! I am ready to argue that here he thinks about this people around him that they are rascals. :)
harsi

Post by harsi »

Its interesting in this connection what the Wordnet dictionary explains what the meaning of this word used by Prabhupda is: The word "rascal" is translated in the German version of Prabhupada's books as "Schurke germ." what the dictionary explains as meaning: a wicked or evil person; someone who does evil deliberately, a scoundrel or a rogue. What in English is also called a villain. And the German/English dictionary translates villain as meaning "Schurke." Rascal is translated as "Schlingel" , a naughty or rascally boy or man.

Wordnet explains rascal as meaning also: one who is playfully mischievous. (see: Wikipedia answers). » Wikipedia as: 1. A base, dishonest, or unscrupulous person 2. Any mischivious person or animal. So who really knows what Prabhupada really meant by saying this. Another thing to be considered is that Prabhupada was speaking mostly to young people. When one is young one likes to use more strong expressions in ones vocabulary, that is also taken into acount by the advertisement companies here in Germany. Products who are to be sold to the more younger people are often advertised with more stronger words and expressions, like those products which are expected to be bought by the older ones. (see » Speaking your Target's Language) All the big computer, media tehnic and music shopping centers in Germany advertise themselves with expressions used mostly by the young generation. Prabhupada may have also been aware of this advertisement tehnic and may have adapted, as a fomer succesfull director manager, his word vocabulary and his expressions in accordance to the audience of listeners he may have though he could best "sell" his spiritual messages and convictions. :wink:
___

Image - Prabhupada in Vrindavan 1964 with the governor of Uttar Pradesh.
- In 1962, with his Srimad Bhagavatam now published he personally travelled, preached its glories, and sold copies. Using favourable reviews from prominent persons like; Hanuman Prasad Poddar (Gita Press - Gorakpur), Hindu philosopher Dr Radhakrishnan, the prestigious 'Adyar Library Bulletin', Scholarly Godbrothers, India's Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, Dr Zakir Hussain - the Vice President of India, Sri Biswanatha Das - governor of Uttar Pradesh, as his advertisements. Bhaktivedanta Swami visited prospective donors as he tried to raise funds for further volumes. To publish the first canto in three volumes it had thus taken a little more than two years. (more)
Related articles:

Image - Prabhupada’s Use of Words Like “Fools” and “Rascals” - Links / 2

- "A search of the BBT archives shows that Prabhupada used the word “rascal” more than 4,000 times. He used it mostly when he was speaking informally – during lectures and conversations – although it also appears in his books. From an analysis of his usage it seems that Prabhupada used rascal to translate the Sanskrit word mudha. We can find two such references in Bhagavad-gita 7.15 and 9.11. In Bhagavad-gita 7.15 Krishna lists several categories of persons who never surrender to Him: “Those miscreants who are grossly foolish, who are lowest among mankind, whose knowledge is stolen by illusion, and who partake of the atheistic nature of demons do not surrender unto Me.” Prabhupada translates the term mudha as “grossly foolish,” and in his Bhaktivedanta Purport compares such people to asses." Continued...

Image - Prabhupada's Vrndavana garden - Web Photos - Videos

- Srila Lalita Prasada Thakura, Acyutananda, Gurudasa and Srila Prabhupada (more) http://www.dandavats.com/wp-content/image.php
Last edited by harsi on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
harsi

Post by harsi »

harsi

Post by harsi »

Image - Prabhupada, The Photo book

- This book had to be like nothing that had been done before. It would be a deep, personal meditation, boasting a unique selection that would keep the viewer feeling fresh on every page. “I had to select 193 photos out of about 90,000,” says Nitya-tripta matter-of-factly. (more)

Image Radhakunda.com

- Web Photos / 2 / 3 / 4
harsi

Post by harsi »

- "It is my firm conviction that this Krsna Consciousness Movement of Lord Caitanya's will be successful in all parts of the world if our students kindly continue in their enthusiastic endeavors to distribute this message freely to all persons." (Prabhupada letters, 1971) ...

On the Net:
- MP3 Albums of Prabhupada. . - http://www.prabhupadabooks.com - http://causelessmercy.com
- www.krishnaconsciousnessmovement.com - www.prabhupada.de - http://krishnatempel.wordpress.com - Prabhupada Photo Gallery
harsi

Post by harsi »

Image A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, Prabhupada's Journey to the USA.

Image • From Wikipedia

"A message from Jaladuta Diary Journal kept by Prabhupada. Between August 25 1965 and August 30, 1965, the Jaladuta Journal falls silent for six days. On the seventh day, August 31, the silence is broken with these simple words, “Passed over a great crisis on the struggle for life and death.”

Imagehttp://www.jaladuta.com

Prabhupada sailed to USA in 1965. His trip to the United States was not sponsored by any religious organization, nor was he met upon arrival by a group of loyal followers. As he neared his destination on the ship, the Indian freighter Jaladuta, the enormity of his intended task weighed on him. On September 13 he wrote in his diary, "Today I have disclosed my mind to my companion, Lord Sri Krishna." On this occasion and on the number of other, Prabhupada, called on Krishna for help in his native Bengali. Examining these compositions, academics regard them as "intimate records of his prayerful preparation for what lay ahead" and a view on "how Bhaktivedanta Swami understood his own identity and mission."

"I do not know why you have brought me here. Now you can do whatever you like with me. But I guess you have some business here, otherwise why would you bring me to this terrible place? How will I make them understand this message of Krishna consciousness? I am very unfortunate, unqualified and most fallen. Therefore I am seeking your benediction so that I can convince them, for I am powerless to do so on my own." Continued...

Prabhupada writes in his diary: "Today is the 37th day of our journey & at 4 p.m. we left Boston Port for New York. In the morning I had telephonic talks with Gopal P. Agarwal in Butler and he said that his man will receive me at New York & dispatch me to Butler by Bus or train as convenient. I tried to contact Dr. Misra but he was not available both yesterday and today. I do not know if he is coming to receive me. To-day I met two American nice gentlemen Mr. Gardiner & Fryer. We passed a beautiful canal and crossed underneath two overbridges. But at midnight there was considerable fog disturbance and the ship moved very slowly. The fog persisted till we reached late at New York Port at 12/30 on 19/9/65." (more)

ImageThe Prabhupada Story

ImagePhotos

Prabhupada at the Bowery, June 1965, photographed by Fred McDarrah of the Village Voice, N.Y.

ImageMukunda and Janaki, his first female disciple

"Srila Prabhupada had married Mukunda and Janaki and they had no children. However, Janaki had a pet cat that she dearly loved..." (more)
___

On the Net:

The Jaladuta Diary of Prabhupada (Pdf)Names of his first disciples (more)

Image - Changes at Prabhupada's Books - Prabhupadanugas.eu

• "Bhagavad-gita online" (1972): http://www.asitis.com
• "Prabhupada's books online": http://vedabase.net - krishnamedia.org/e-books
• "Letters by Srila Prabhupada - Anthology": http://www.prabhupada.blogspot.com

Image - Prabhupada's Visa for Moscow

-Srila Prabhupada’s passport shows that he entered via Moscow on June 20 1971 and he left on June 26.

• "The Bhaktivedanta Archives": http://www.prabhupada.com/books.html
• "Photos and Audio of Srila Prabhupada": http://www.prabhupada.krishna.com
• "Catalogue and online lectures by Srila Prabhupada": http://www.prabhupadavani.org
"iskcon.com - About A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada". - Videos: http://noolmusic.com/search_videos/krishna
• Online book: The Hare Krishna Explosion - The birth of the Krishna Consciousness Movement in America 1966 - 1969.

Photo: Prabhupada enters an airplane

http://www.iskcondesiretree.net

Records by Prabhupada and his disciples: http://sitproperly.com

Image http://bbtedit.com/index.php?q=changes
Last edited by harsi on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
prajalpaspeaker

Post by prajalpaspeaker »

Prabhupada:
They are interested with these bricks and stones, not green vegetables. Such a rascal government. Give them facility. We know how to do it. Annad bavanti butani parjanyad anna-sambavah, yajnad bhavati parjanyah. Let them engage in kirtana. There will be more water for gardening, and it will be moist, and then produce fodder for the animals and food for you. And animal gives you milk. That is Vrndavana life. And they are absorbed in their so-called opulence. Krsna has take birth. They are bringing so many nice, pleasant foodstuff, very will-dressed and ornamented. These are description. In the morning we are reading. How they are happy, the inhabitants of vrndavana with Krsna and living and cows. That I want to introduce. At any cost do it. And...Don’t bother about big, big buildings. It is not required. Useless waste of time. Produce. Make the whold field green. See that. Then whole economic question solved. Then you eat sumptuous. Eat sumptuously. The animal is happy. The animal does not give milk; let them eat and pass stool and urine. That is welcome. After all eating, they will pass stool. So that is beneficial, not that simple milk is beneficial. Even the stool is beneficial. Therefore I am asking so much here and.."Farm, farm, farm, farm..." That is not my program--Krsna’s program. Annad bhavanti bhutani. Produce green ness everywhere, everywhere. Vrndavana. It is not this motorcar civilization. If it has taken in his brain, then it is to be understood that he can do this plan. He’ll be able. Somebody said that he is eager to see me. Hm?
Prabhupada:
Yes. Whatever it may be... We should be satisfied locally by
our food, by our cloth, by our milk. That's all. Let the whole world go to hell.
We don't care. If you want to save yourself also, you do this. Here is an
example. If you want artificial life, city life, and hellish life, you do. But we
shall live like this. This is the ideal life.