Guru isue

Days gone by are remembered as good or bad according to our desire. Although we are not encouraging anyone to post texts in this forum, if anyone feels a need to discuss things related to their former times in a spiritual movement or to ventilate their feelings, this is the place to do it. Please maintain proper decorum and do not flame others or other organizations. Any comments or statements herein are the opinions of the poster's alone and have no connection to harimedia.net or its administrators.
Mihail

Re: Guru isue

Post by Mihail »

Hari wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:45 am I like to discuss education, learning, knowledge, research and development, and so on in the context of evolution. I do not like to discuss the term or concept of guru. So I will not. Does this clarify things more?
It seems to me to be the first clarification in the thread (not "more").

I agree that improper word may ruin all the discussion.

However, there are some personal issues in all that "education, learning, knowledge, research and development, and so on in the context of evolution". If such a person acts like a teacher (or even sometimes interlocutor), then these issues may be called "guru issues". That is the *real* thread I participated in. Believe you or not, it was my personal understanding/feeling/... of guru in ISKCON (although, of course, it was not official).

May I re-ask the question like "teacher's personality issues"? (or how it be in English?)
Mihail

Post by Mihail »

Mihail wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pmBelieve you or not
Believe it or not
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

Personal compatiblity between the teacher and student is extremely important in any form of education. Not all teachers are compatible with all learners and vice versa. Personal chemistry is very significant in education. This is even more important when dealing with spiritual issues.

Given enough time, every person will have problems with every other person. We cannot avoid this. However, in a teacher/student exchange, optimally the teacher will focus on the needs of the student without allowing personal opinions to cloud the atmosphere. This is not always possible because sometimes we get under each other's skin and become agitated. If this friction hinders the learning environment, then the student should find another situation that is more compatible. If this is not possible, then accept the situation to maximize benefit.