Some stories and insights (by others) that I find amusing.

A place where all can share poems, essays, short stories, experiences or feelings. These texts should not be commented on; rather, they should be read in the spirit the authors share them and appreciated as sincere expressions of literary creativity. Do not be afraid to express yourself in a meaningful manner. You may post in your native language. You do not have to write in English.
papula

Some stories and insights (by others) that I find amusing.

Post by papula »

Once there was a Dzogchen yogi who lived unostentatiously, surrounded, however, by a large following of disciples. A certain monk, who had an exaggerated opinion of his own learning and scholarship, was jealous of the yogi, whom he knew not to be very well read at all. He thought: "How does he, just an ordinary person, dare to teach? How dare he pretend to be a master? I will go and test his knowledge, show it up for the sham it is, and humiliate him in front of his disciples, so that they will leave him and follow me."

One day he visited the yogi and said scornfully: "You Dzogchen bunch, is meditate all you ever do?"

The yogi’s reply took him completely by surprise: "What is there to meditate on?"

"You don’t even meditate then," the scholar brayed triumphantly.

"But when am I ever distracted?" said the yogi.
papula

Post by papula »

Why is it that people should find it so difficult even to conceive the depth and glory of the nature of mind? Why does it seem to many such an outlandish and improbable idea?

The (buddhist) teachings speak of four faults, which prevent us from realizing the nature of mind right now

1. The nature of minds is too close to be recognized. Just as we are unable to see our own face, mind finds it difficult to look into it's own nature.

2. It is too profound for us to fathom. We have no idea how deep it could be; if we did, we would have already, to a certain extent, realized it.

3. It is too easy for us to believe. In reality all, we need do is simply to rest in the naked, pure awareness of the nature of mind, which is always present.

4. It is too wonderful for us to accomadate, The sheer immensity of it is too vast to fit into our narrow way of thinking. We just can't believe it. Nor can we possibly imagine that enlightenment is the real nature of our minds.