Monastery :)

A place to ask Hari, exchange ideas with him, give some suggestions, or share some ideas with him on existence. This forum is not the place to discuss anything related to his former status or situation. Hari will reply to all texts.
LvU

Monastery :)

Post by LvU »

I whant to be a monk, but in my country there isnt such monasterys like in Asia i mean that in my countrie there is only very low level Christian monasteries.I would like to know were i could find such a spiritual development place like a monastery or at least were should i start searching :)
Created by Love and powered By God

the one who speaks, doesn't know...the one who knows, doesn't speak
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

I am not sure I have enough information about what you wish to do with your life to properly answer this question. Why do you specifically wish to be a monk? What do you wish to achieve?

Do you have any experience with monastic life? If so, where and what happened? If not, which aspects of monastic life have you heard about that attract you most?

Some people like to live with others who share their beliefs and goals. Some monasteries discourage all speaking. Most encourage austerity and hard work. There are other types of detached religious or spiritual lifestyles for those who do not find Christian monasteries acceptable. There are Buddhist (and all types of similar derivatives) monasteries in India, Nepal, Thailand, and other Southeast Asian countries, or Japan, Korea, or anywhere else in the world where these organizations have spiritual centers. There are many Hindu type monasteries, called ashramas, in India. All of these places offer a similar kind of austere and detached life style, devoid of any material facility outside of a roof over one’s head and some basic food, with spiritual practices in the flavor of their spiritual tradition. There are even communities in Europe, America, and South America (I am sure also in Australia, Fiji and so on) which facilitate spiritual devotion in a dedicated environment, but you would have to research them and even try some out before committing yourself to a long term residency.

You also have to consider the visa situation in any country you wish to reside for a longer period of time. Some countries do allow monastic visas, but you would need to be sponsored by the community you wish to join.