Bhagavat Gita

A place to ask Hari, exchange ideas with him, give some suggestions, or share some ideas with him on existence. This forum is not the place to discuss anything related to his former status or situation. Hari will reply to all texts.
kamalamala1

Bhagavat Gita

Post by kamalamala1 »

Dear Hari
Since in our evolutionary process we get knowledge by different ways, scriptures definitely also is the main part of the source of that knowledge.
So it is natural that what we read in them, we want to correspond with our reality and try to understand the deep meaning.
From the other side as you said nobody knows that this is original scriptures and is not twisted by many rewriters in 1000 years in a way they want.
In this regard a few questions arising in this case with some statements in Bhagavat Gita and i decided to ask it to you since you have great experience and very clear understanding of the issue.
Lord Krishna said
that if one eat food not offered to him (to God) he eats sin

THe process of eating is one of the main ways to contact the outside energy since practically it is only process where we are thaking something from out side and puting it inside our body and seem not only phisical body.Afcourse we also get so many energies from information canals but still/

So it is a big question since every time when i eat let say the apple i think that it is not proper that i didnt offer it to Lord but from the other side this making the process of offering wrong.

Can you say what can mean this statement in truth, and it is so that one should not eat anything without offering to God?
Hari
Site Admin

Re: Bhagavat Gita

Post by Hari »

Perhaps the discussion should center on defining the word "offer"? Your question seems to relate to your understanding from the "good old days." If you think the only way to make an offering is to bring a plate before a deity in a temple and ring a bell and so on, then your eating an unoffered apple will cause you stress. However, if you feel connected to God when you will pick up that apple and wonder at the marvelous gift you have been given to eat, you will feel grateful. I think the real offering is feeling grateful for the gifts you are given and to express that gratitude in your words and actions. After all, if someone mindlessly cooks some food and someone else mindlessly offers it, is it really offered? Is the process of sacrifice simply a formula without mindfulness or is it an act of devotion that comes from the heart with feeling? You know the answer.

"All that you do and all that you eat should be done as an offering to me." And there you have it.
Vajra

Post by Vajra »

Dear Hari
You so nicely explained wath can the word offer mean,and i agree with you totally that it is the best meaning in this case/
But wath can the word sin mean in this statement in Bhagavat Gita?
Why food wich is not offered to God becoming sin,?
And wath is in general sin?
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

Sin is a Christian term. Why bother defining it?

Eastern conceptions of karma consider the effects of actions as bringing negative or positive results. The negative result referred to in this text means that mindless eating will burden one with the weight of the food. Food eaten without consideration of the "offering" defined above, will be without positive benefit and will bring negativity.
kamalamala1

Post by kamalamala1 »

Dear Hari
In this regard apearing a general question .
Are there any shlokas in Bhagavad Gita writen as spoken by Lord Krishna wich is not actually said byLord Krishna but concoted by brahmanas when they made there editions ?
Could it be that some shlokas just concoted by brahmanas in later times,?
Hari
Site Admin

Post by Hari »

I cannot answer that question. I have no idea.