Three Powers Standing Chi Kung

Garuda Pandit is an accomplished practioner and teacher of the usage of Qi in various forms. He will post texts which will help anyone learn how to use Qi and thus strengthen their body and mind.
GPandit

Three Powers Standing Chi Kung

Post by GPandit »

Mind/Body Training

For the training described below, one uses ones mind to relax the soft tissues of the body. This method is practiced while standing comfortably, as opposed to various yoga methods that relax while reclining. There are significant reasons why we do not do this training while lying on the ground, e.g., Sivasana. First off, the Taoists believe that while lying down, the subconscious mind is activated. In the old days of psychotherapy, the patient would lie on a couch while the doctor sat up and listened.
Energetically, it is much more beneficial to stand and allow the energies of Nature to flow through. While doing this stance training, the practitioner trains his "frame" or "structure". This is extremely useful, not only for martial arts purposes, but also for health and balance of the body.
With regular practice and gradual release of the accumulated muscular tension, the body’s soft tissues become released, relaxed, and open.

Why Train The Body?

Habitual muscular tension and holding patterns serve no practical purpose. By training this kind of standing Chi Kung, one quickly becomes aware of accumulated tension and "armoring".

Instructions for Three Powers Standing Chi Kung

Stand with feet comfortably apart, about shoulder distance.
Weight equally balanced, and knees unlocked (very slightly bent)
Hands hang naturally at your sides.
Tongue touches roof of mouth behind front teeth, as if you were saying the syllable "la". Mouth closed, breathe naturally through nose.
Allow yourself to relax into the ground. Feel as if you are standing upon the entire Earth, which is below your feet. This relaxed connection with the nurturing Earth energy from below is called Yin.

Allow shoulders to hang naturally, top of head feels as if a thread is lightly pulling upward. Chin slightly tucked in, to allow the top of head to feel gently lifted. This awareness/connection is called Yang. It is represented by "what is above", e.g., the cosmos, stars, sun, planets.

Between Heaven and Earth is mankind. Represented by the center of the body, approximately the navel area. Allow your coccyx or tailbone, to gently relax downward. Your back should not be arched, but rather lengthened.

After internalizing the above-mentioned alignments, one merely strives to stand perfectly still. Allow your breath to come and go as it will. At this point, one practices awareness of the body’s sensations. Usually one becomes aware of various areas that seem to be "holding". These are patterns of tension and armoring, and very important to feel them. Then, wherever one feels tension, use your mind to allow it to soften, relax, open, or melt away. Gradually attempt to release and relax all of the soft tissue of the body. Do this while maintaining the structure/alignments above. All one needs to do is release, release and release.

Commonly one begins to release all kinds of tension from the body and nervous system. Do not run from any sensations. Feel them, accept them and let them release and relax. Begin by setting a timer for 2 or 3 minutes. As you progress, add more time. Twenty minutes seems to be a magic number (build up to that slowly), although some people stand for up to an hour.

History

The Three Powers Standing Chi Kung is probably the most basic and innocuous method, and the one I always go back to. There are more complex methods where the hands are held in various positions, e.g., "Holding the Moon", etc. These can be learned from most good books on Tai Chi Chuan or Chi Kung. Interestingly, this method of releasing accumulated tension from the body is the most foundational training for internal martial arts, i.e., Tai Chi Chuan, Pa Kua Chang, and Hsing-I Chuan. Practitioners of those arts always return to standing postures, in order to balance. Quite frankly, it is one of the best ways to cultivate the body’s chi. It is also quite balancing for the body. Many people practice this kind of chi kung to heal injuries or to prevent disease.

On Breathing

When most people hear the phrase chi kung, it brings up images of specific movements combined with deep breathing. That is another part of the system, but in my opinion, this standing still method is more profound. No specific breathing pattern is used"”just breathe naturally, while allowing the body to relax.

Musings on Standing Chi Kung

Don’t be surprised if your body/mind tries to reject the standing still idea. These stuck patterns in the nervous system are like muscle spasms in one’s body. By feeling them, relaxing and letting them go"”over and over again, the body begins to function as Nature intended. Think about your automobile. If you have the emergency brake on, the car will not move properly. You do not need to rebuild the engine"”just release the brake and it works wonderfully.
What we do in life, echoes in Eternity
pamu

Re: Three Powers Standing Chi Kung

Post by pamu »

[quote="GPandit"]Mind/Body Training

This may be a stupid question, but do we perform this exercise barefooted?

GPandit

Re: Three Powers Standing Chi Kung

Post by GPandit »

pamu wrote:
GPandit wrote:Mind/Body Training

This may be a stupid question, but do we perform this exercise barefooted?
Hi Pamu,

thanks for checking out the article. My first response to your question would be that it depends on weather conditions. Any kind of footwear is fine, it will not hinder the connection at all. As long as you feel comfortable and relaxed, it's no problem.

I'm interested to hear if the training helps.

GP
pamu

Three powers standing Chi Kung

Post by pamu »

Interesting exercise. After one minute (approx. no, I was not watcing the clock)I felt like I was gently floating in the air eventhough my feet were firmly on the ground and I felt connection with earth. It was like I was somehow lifted. Was that because of the relaxation or what?
pamu

Post by pamu »

Oh, stupid me, what I meant to say was that my upper body felt unsually light when doing this exercise, not that I felt like it was floating in the air.
GPandit

standing

Post by GPandit »

Yes, I understand what you are saying, and certainly that sensation is a result of achieving relaxation. Sometimes it comes in waves for me. The next step is to bring up your arms like holding a large ball (palms facing toward your chest). This engages the upper body and "hard-wires" the body for relaxed and effortless power. BTW, it's also more challenging.

Thanks for asking the question because now I know what to write about for another segment.

GP
pamu

Post by pamu »

GP Pandit, if you have more of these kind of easy to do exercises, keep em´coming. I am into all kinds of training (mtb, swimming, weights, stretching etc)but this has been something completely new to me.

We have a good public library here in my hometown, can you recommend any books about this type of training you are advocating? Thanks. :D
GPandit

books

Post by GPandit »

Pamu,

Glad you are enjoying the training, and glad to be of any assistance to you at any time. Certainly there must be some good books out there, but I no longer read these kind of books often. So I can't mention anything specifically. Look under "chi kung", or even "tai chi chuan". You may pick up some tips there.

After 20 years learning from different teachers, I'm trying to distill the essence of many of these systems. I'm encouraged by Hari, but am finding the writing of these things difficult. So much easier if we were all in the same room, I could show you how to do it, and correct/refine your practice. I'll put together another lesson, a continuation of 3 powers standing. It will be a very solid foundation. All other training comes from good standing practice.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Garuda Pandit